(WAND)- Spring break is upon us, and RetailMeNot has put together a list of tips for spring travelers.
According to RetailMeNot, 96% of Americans plan to travel between March and May, and on average, US consumers plan to spend $3,250 on flights, transportation, hotels/accommodations, and experiences and activities while on vacation.
Spring travel facts from RetailMeNot:
- Most Americans (96%) plan to travel between March and May.
- More than half (54%) of consumers confirmed that they will spend more on travel next spring compared to previous years.
- Inflation continues to be a key factor for consumers (66%), along with concerns about the cost of transport (25%).
- Promotions and robust offer content are essential to users, as 61% agree that rising gas and flight costs will affect their travel.
- Travel retailers’ budgets are the biggest in the first quarter, and in March 2023 they plan to get big discounts and promotions.
- Consumers are expected to take more international vacations than in 2019 (+72%). Anecdotally, RetailMeNot’s travel industry partners report that summer is expected to see an influx of international travel, and shoppers will need to act early to find the best hotel or rental.
- On average, US consumers plan to spend $3,250 on flights, transportation, hotels/accommodations, and experiences and activities while on vacation.
- More information can be found here: https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/spring-summer-travel-by-the-numbers-2023.html
RetailMeNot savings tips from Christine McGrath, RetailMeNot’s shopping expert
- “For vacation rentals, book your stay as early as possible. Whether you’re dreaming of a tropical vacation in the new year or planning to head home for a particular holiday or event, try to book your accommodation as early as possible. VRBO, Airbnb and other vacation rental prices tend to be much less expensive if you book months or even weeks in advance.”
- “Sign up for free email alerts from airlines or other travel sites like Expedia, Travelocity or Google Flights to get early access to coupon codes and flash sales from your favorite travel brands.”
- “Experiment with different travel dates. If your travel plans are flexible, experiment with different flight dates to see if you can find a lower price. You may be able to reduce the cost of the ticket by changing the dates by just one day.’
- “Travelers should check deals and cashback sites like RetailMeNot for sitewide discounts, flash sales and exclusive travel deals.”
- “Cashback is a great way for consumers to save when they’re booking big trips and holidays, as you can get money back directly into your wallet from big purchases to then spend on essential travel.”
- “Order comprehensive passes. By booking your flight, hotel and car rental together instead of separately, you’ll save hundreds. In addition to saving money, booking a vacation through sites like Expedia, Kayak, and Travelocity can help you stay on budget. You will know the price of your entire trip at the time of booking, instead of booking a cheap flight and being surprised by the cost of hotels and car hire.’
- “Shoppers can visit RetailMeNot March 10-14 to save up to 60% on top travel brands like Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.comIHG Hotels & Resorts on travel deals from flights, fashion and travel essentials as part of its Spring Rescue Event.”