Illinois

Carbon dioxide leak sickens 4 workers at LAX: CA reps

Four workers were injured in a carbon dioxide leak at a facility at Los Angeles International Airport early Monday morning, including one in critical condition, authorities said.

Four workers were injured in a carbon dioxide leak at a facility at Los Angeles International Airport early Monday morning, including one in critical condition, authorities said.

AP

A carbon dioxide leak at Los Angeles International Airport has left one worker in critical condition and sickened three others, California officials said.

Four workers were “in or near” a utility room more than 200 feet from the Terminal 8 baggage area when they heard On the morning of Monday, Oct. 31, a “popping sound” and “carbon dioxide vapor” were released, according to a press release from the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Three workers, two men and one woman, were treated at the airport with “minor complaints,” the fire service said.

“A fourth worker … was found without a pulse or breathing in a utility room,” the LAFD said.

Paramedics performed CPR and “advanced life support.” A 36-year-old man, who officials say is a contractor, before he was taken to a hospital where “his condition was upgraded from serious to critical,” according to the LAFD.

AP22304669686473.jpg
Los Angeles World Airports Police and staff assist travelers in Terminal 7 after a hazardous materials emergency outside the terminal at Los Angeles International Airport, Monday, Oct. 31, 2022. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes) Damian Dovarganes AP

After the incident, as LAFD investigated, passengers in the Terminal 8 was sent to Terminal 7according to a series of tweets from LAX.

It’s under controlLAFD Captain Eric Scott said at a press conference, according to the Los Angeles Times. “We need to reset it [carbon dioxide] system. Make sure it’s installed and functioning properly before we can move people back in here.”

The leak did not affect “any of the travelers from a medical point of view” Scott said, according to ABC7 News.

“They were not in the area of ​​this electrical device. There was no passage where they could come into contact with carbon dioxide,” said Scott, according to the publication.

According to the LAFD, a hazardous materials team was dispatched to the airport and found only “traces of carbon dioxide” inside the utility room.

“No escalation of danger or danger outside the site was identified,” the fire service said.

https://www.bnd.com/news/nation-world/national/article268109772.html

Related Articles

Back to top button