Illinois

The teacher was accused of a “kill list” for not contacting the school

An East Chicago teacher accused of threatening students and staff with a “kill list” agreed to a no-contact order at the school during a court hearing Friday, according to court records.

Angelica Carrasquillo, 25, is charged with intimidation, a level 6 felony, and is currently being held in the Lake County Jail on $20,000 bond or $2,000 cash.

According to court records, two students appealed to the administrators of the Catholic school of St. Stanislav about threats at 12:45 on October 12, and Karasquillo admitted during a conversation with the school management that she talked about killing herself, students and staff.

Carrasquillo was detained by school officials and allowed to leave after all the children were let out. Only then was the police called – almost 4 hours after the school authorities learned about the situation.

“During the conversation, the teacher named a specific student from her list, but did not provide the list. The principal then advised the teacher to leave and not return to the school pending an investigation,” East Chicago Police Chief Jose Rivera said in an email.

During an interview with Carrasquillo, she stated that if she had a car, she could fit two dead bodies in the trunk, the affidavit states.

When she advised Carasquillo to leave the building, Principal Angelica Foy advised her that doing so would likely result in her being fired, records state.

Rivera said police obtained an emergency arrest warrant from the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office on Thursday and she was taken into custody at her home in Griffith.

Last week, a group of parents protested outside the school on Oct. 19 over what they say was the poor response of the school, as well as the Diocese of Gary, to the incident.

The Diocese of Gary issued a statement saying it, along with St. Stanislaus School, is cooperating with local authorities in the investigation.

“The Catholic Schools Board is also looking into what happened that day. We are deeply saddened by this event. School safety is a top concern for our schools. Due to the ongoing police investigation, we are unable to release any further details and ask the community to join us in praying for healing and healing.”

Post-Tribune freelance reporters Carol Carlson and Michelle L. Quinn contributed to this report.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/ct-ptb-carrasquillo-no-contact-st-1030-20221029-uka5nnw3ujgwbarixcovf5g2xu-story.html#ed=rss_www.chicagotribune.com/arcio/rss/category/news/

Related Articles

Back to top button